No products in the cart.
MacBook Repair Services: The Break-Down on Breakdowns
Macbook repair service can vary from model to model. For an Apple user, a Mac malfunction can easily reach the level of crisis in a hurry! Fortunately, Apple products have many commercialized caretakers (okay, technicians) who can provide MacBook repair services and address all kinds of damage and malfunctions.
Before You Take Your Mac to the Shop
Always, always, always back up your data! That’s definitely the number one rule before you take your Mac to its doc!
Depending on what’s going on with your notebook, the techs may need to reformat your hard drive as part of the process of repair. If you haven’t backed up your data and systems before handing it over, that reformat would essentially wipe out everything you’ve ever saved or formatted or finished and stored on your computer.
The specific procedure for backup may vary depending on which operating system you’re using, so you’ll want to look up the directions relevant to your set-up. The Time Machine function will back up absolutely everything on your computer—even including documents, movies, music, and photos—and then transfer to an external storage disk which you can keep safe while your notebook ventures out to the repair shop. The external storage can be a second hard drive (connected to a Thunderbolt, FireWire, or USB port on your laptop) or even a network server.
You probably also want to check that your contacts, calendars, photos, documents, and other apps have been uploaded to iCloud for backup storage.
Many repair shops will offer data backup as a part of their services, but you’ll have to pay them to do so. It’s entirely up to you.
Repairs You Might Need
Truth be told, there are all kinds of things that can go wrong with our precious computers, and it can be a challenge to interpret the “tech-speak” when the good folks at the repair shop try to explain it to you.
So here’s a quick run-down on some of the possible breakdowns:
- Hard Drive Replacement. Whether something has gone wrong with your current hard drive or you’re simply looking for an upgrade, hard drive replacement is essentially a matter of switching out your computer’s “brain” for a new one. (Have you ever had a day when you wish you could do the same for yourself?) The process is a relatively simple one for the shop, so the main expense comes in the cost of the new hard drive.
- Virus removal. Do you know someone who hardly ever gets sick, but gets really sick when they do come down with a bug? Macs are kind of like that; they’re famously resistant to virus attacks, but they can really get walloped when one does get through.
- LCD replacement. LCD is the technology (literally) behind your screen, so if you’re having display problems, you might need LCD replacement.
- Data recovery. If your data has disappeared and you can’t find it in your own iCloud or Time Machine backups, there’s still a chance that the experts can dig it out.
- Motherboard repair. If the hard drive is your computer’s “brain,” the motherboard might be considered its central nervous system.
- Water damage repair. This might be the most common of needed repairs; whether you’ve spilled a cup of coffee across your keyboard or had a bookbag leak in a rainstorm, computers and liquids just don’t mix well! (And unlike a cell phone, it’s not as easy to put your computer in a bag of rice.) Techs will open your MacBook to clean it.
There’s an old nursery rhyme regarding apples and doctors, but when it comes to computer doctors in Long Island, its no problem to find one who won’t be kept away by an Apple a Day!
Whether you have a water damaged Macbook, your LCD cracked or even the outer glass portion on older style macbook pro’s the Repair Sharks can help. We replace and repair a variety of Macbook components such as batteries, screens, motherboards, charging ports, etc. Our Macbook repair services are top-notch.