For the last year and a half we have been repairing Android Smartphone Screens. We have been able to handle a wide variety of Android smartphones such including brands as HTC, Samsung, Motorola, and LG. Coming from the world of the iPod and iPhone repair the Android phone design has its ups and downs. Since there are so many flavors of Android phones on the market there are also many different designs used internally. Each manufacturer, and even from model to model in the same line, can have layout changes. If you look at the iPhone 2G to 3G and 3G to 4G model upgrades this is also the case. The designs internally from generation to generation vary greatly.
Here are some of the major differences between the iPhone and Android design that we regularly see when repairing either device.
- The internal flex cabling is setup differently. Due to board and battery positioning cabling can vary from model to model. The iPhone 4 for example has an upside down L shaped layout that runs from top to bottom. This allows for a direct connection with minimal cabling for such parts as the LCD and Digitizer screen. Some of the Android models use longer flex cables to make these same connections.
- Some of the Android phones are available with slide-out keyboards. These keyboards make it tricky to disassemble at times. There are cables that slide with the keyboard and they are generally intertwined with the phones internal framing making it difficult to remove in some models.
- It looks like overall the entire design approach is different from the iPhone. Many of the connector types are similar but the way they are actually placed inside the casing is completely different. Some of the Android phones remind me of doing iPhone 2G repairs. If anyone has ever tried to repair a 2G iPhone then you are familiar with the difficulties of the design.
- The screen designs vary from model to model. Some have LCD and Digitizers that are separable newer models like the iPhone 4 and 4s have fused screen designs meaning they come as a single piece from the manufacturer. As a consideration, the screen design can impact the cost of repair in the future and even the cost of insurance.
- User replaceable battery in Android models vs. non user replaceable in the iPhone. A big difference especially if you plan on keeping your phone for a few years. We replace many iPhone batteries, although it is rather a straightforward repair it should still be performed by a qualified technician.
Overall both the Android and iPhone models are well performing products. There is a host of other difference obviously and some are more profound than others. It seems like Android phone manufacturers are starting to adapt their design methods to include new innovations in cable and board manufacturing technology.
Android repair services for HTC, LG, Samsung, and Motorola are available in our repair center. Mail-in or walk-in repair services are available for your Android or Apple iPhone 3, 3gs, 4, or 4s. We are always adding new models to our lineup. Visit our website for more information at www.repairsharks.com.